Annunciation House continues to receive steady numbers of migrants and refugees who have been released from ICE or Border Patrol custody in El Paso. We provide them with temporary shelter and assist them with making plans to travel onward into the United States to reunite with family and friends elsewhere. With anywhere from 100-300 refugees arriving each day, we continue to be very grateful for additional volunteers who can meet the following requirements:
SHORT TERM VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS
- 2 WEEK MINIMUM TIME COMMITMENT – It takes time and effort to train a new volunteer and it takes a few days before that person can really be helpful. Therefore in general, we request a minimum two-week time commitment. If someone has volunteered with us recently, we would be happy to have them back for a week if they are not able to make a new two-week commitment. We cannot accommodate any volunteers who have less than a week to serve.
- Age: volunteers must be at least 20 years old.
- Language: some Spanish preferred, though not required. People with limited Spanish should know that their interaction with guests will be limited.
- Willingness to do whatever is needed (within your capabilities).
- Overall good health.
- Must be completely vaccinated for COVID. Boosters are strongly recommended for those whose initial vaccine course was more than 6 months ago.
We are ALWAYS accepting applications for year-long volunteers!